Monday, June 27, 2005

 

Camping, Picnics, Parties and Southern Gospel

You know, I tried to think once and nothing happened. I even thought about starting an excercise program once but I laid down and the thought passed. Why do people go camping? Why do they have picnics and parties? Is it about the food? No, you can eat food at home. Is it about the bonfire? No, you can burn wood almost anywhere, or at least you could download a screen saver of a bonfire, virtually. So then what is it about? It must be the about the shared experiences. We must get out of our daily routine, outside our normal circle of friends, family and acquaintences to see each other in a different light. To test one anothers mettle, sharpen another's sword, have your own sword sharpened, invoke horseplay on a jet ski...

Sunday in the lobby of the TCA, a woman for the Freinds Church saw our sign and stopped in to let us know the Toney Brothers were singing Southern Gospel at their church last night. We convened our small group over at the Freinds church to partake and what a wonderful night it turned out to be. They went so far to make it seem like an old timey revival they even turned off the air conditioner(actually I dont think it was planned but He provides). People were fanning themselves with song books and there were even a few hand fans moving air around. you know they started with an old Gospel tune something about a NewSong. My wife really like Southern Gospel music and I was fortunate to sit in the pew behind her and watch her clap her hands and sway with the music. The heat added the necessary atmosphere, all we needed was a tent. More than one song, even though I had not heard it before brought a tear to my eye too. The performance ended with an invitition. An invitation to start a relationship with our Lord and Master. Tugs at my heart every time. What a comfort and joy it was.

You know, it occurred to me (this was not a thought, just to clarify) we need to revive the NewSong Barbershop Old Timey Gospel Quartet and put together a few tunes for the upcoming picnic. If we only had a benevolent dictator type song leader who had the skills to put something like this together. Someone with a couple of spare evening on his hands with nothing to do. Someone fresh off a search for a wife. Oh well, nevermind.

Comments:
I excercise everyday. In the morning I get up (that's 1/2 a situp) and each night I lay back down (that's the other 1/2).
What a great weekend! Friends, fellowship and food. I think I put on 7 pounds. Thanks to all who allowed me to go.
 
I lift a lot of food, at least several pounds a day to my mouth, that's work according to my physics teacher. (work=force x mass x distance)
 
Hey are you guys gonna wear red and white striped suits and get those big handlebar moustaches?
Im tellin ya, you guys would ROCK!!
 
I cant believe I at the whole weekend. I don't normally eat that much food in a week. Doc and Kevin are great Iron Chef's.
 
I love that barbershop idea....could they kind of wander around and punctuate people's conversations like in the movies???
 
You know, I don't think that I am going to allow myself to leave town for a weekend ever again. You folks get way too out of hand without someone around to keep an eye on ya! It takes more than just a benevolent dictator to get together a singing group, it also takes willing volunteers. BBT
 
It's been nice blogging with everybody but I am leaving the blogging world.
Be Blessed, Love all of you.
Bruce
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?